2014 Registration Deadline is May 15th!
Guitar, Bass, Drums & Piano/Keyboardists- We Want To See Your Musical Skills!
Win incredible prizes and priceless professional opportunities including performing at this summer’s Montreux Jazz Festival 2014, Yamaha Instruments/Endorsements, Berklee College of Music Scholarships, Crown of the Continents Guitar Workshop & Festival performance/scholarship, guitarist to record on Ritenour’s forthcoming album, mentoring and more!
Our competition is an online, global contest open to anyone world-wide. We’re looking for diverse players in guitar, bass, piano and drums.
Thanks to our legendary Advisory Board Judges (see photos below), a veritable who’s who of greats. Big thanks to our sponsors who are making possible the 2014 Six String Theory Competition.
- Applicants accepted in Guitar, Bass, Piano/Keyboards or Drums.
- Register here with 2 YouTube Videos of you playing (see Guitar & Rhythm competition pages for details)
- All judging will be done online by Lee Ritenour & our Advisory Board Judges viewing the submitted videos. Winners will be announced June 1, 2014.
- Backing Tracks- both guitar and rhythm applicants may use backing tracks. Preferably they would be original backing tracks (or by musicians associated with the applicant) to demonstrate originality and style. But technically an applicant may use backing tracks that aren’t original.
- It is recommended, however not required, that one of the two videos submitted be performing live with other musicians (it doesn’t have to be a public event). This gives the judges an idea on how you play with other musicians.
- Guitar Entries will be accepted in the genres of Rock, Blues, Jazz/Fusion, Acoustic, Classical/Flamenco or Country. Guitar applicants may register in more than one genre but must provide separate email and registration for each genre.
- Guitarists may use loop pedals or effects, but we recommend the looping does not over shadow your main guitar performance. It is not a ‘loop’ contest. We will judge your performance on your overall guitar playing, performance, skills, originality (which may include your looping & effects), etc.
- Rhythm Section Entries may perform in any contemporary music style (such as jazz, fusion, rock, blues, R & B, etc.). Rhythm players may apply as solo, duo or trio under one registration (see Rhythm Competition page).
- An applicant may register in both the guitar competition and rhythm competition but each would need a separate registration. Guitar applicants may also register in more than one guitar genre but would require separate registration as well. However, Rhythm players (bass, piano/keys, drus) in a duo or trio register as a group under one registration.
- If you’ve registered for the competition in a previous year (or even won as a finalist), you may register again. Former grand prize winners may not re-apply.
- Prizes include: Berklee College of Music Scholarships, Yamaha Instruments & Endorsements, Perform as opening band for Lee Ritenour’s show at Montreux Jazz Festival July 7,2014 as well as do 4 nights of after jam session at the Club, Professional Mentoring, Crown of the Continent Guitar Workshop & Festival Scholarships & Performing, Monster & D’Addario prizes (see Guitar Competition & Rhythm Competition pages for further details). One of the guitar finalists will record a track on Lee Ritenour’s forthcoming album in late 2014.
- Applicants are not required to participate in the Berklee College of Music scholarships in order to register or win the Six String Theory competition (see Rules for additional details).
- Sponsors of the competition: Yamaha, Berklee College of Music, Montreux Jazz Festival, Blue Note Tokyo, Monster Products, Crown of the Continent Guitar Foundation, D’Addario, Concord Music Group, Premier Guitar, Music Connection, Jazziz Monthly.
We’re also excited for the jazz guitar winner of the Blue Note Tokyo/YouTube/Diners Club competition, Naoto Suzuki, to join us in our Six String Theory competition.