Competition Registration Closes May 20, 2016. Winners Announced June 7, 2016.
Welcome to the 2016 Lee Ritenour Six String Theory Rhythm Competition!
Competition is open to “Non-Professional Musicians” (see Rules for details & definition of “non-professional”). Winners will be traveling for performances and recording from the dates of August 28 through September 12, 2016 to Montana, Los Angeles and Tokyo, Japan.
Here’s how to sign up:
- Go to the Competition Sign Up section to fill out our online application and submit your application fee.
- There are 3 OPTIONS FOR RHYTHM SECTION: 1) SOLO (Individual) $25 2) DUET (keyboards & bass; drums & bass, or any combination) $50 3) TRIO (keyboards, bass & drums) $75
PLEASE NOTE: If you are part of a duo or trio, there is only one sign-in (you) and the other member’s information will be requested upon your video upload submission stage.
- Prepare 2 videos (5 min maximum per video, no camera stops) and upload them to YouTube unless you already have them uploaded. Before you register on this site, you should have your 2 videos uploaded and have the URL links. During the registration process, you will provide the YouTube links.
- Backing Tracks – both guitar and rhythm applicants may use backing tracks. Preferably they would be original backing tracks (or by musicians associated with the applicant) to demonstrate originality and style. But technically an applicant may use backing tracks that aren’t original.
- It is recommended, however not required, that one of the two videos submitted be performing live with other musicians. It doesn’t have to be a public event. It gives the judges an idea on how you play with other musicians.
- An applicant may register in both the guitar competition and rhythm competition but each would need a separate registration. Guitar applicants may also register in more than one guitar genre but would require separate registration as well.
- If you’ve registered for the competition in a previous year (or even won as a finalist), you may register again. Former grand prize winners may not re-apply.
- Our panel of online judges will evaluate all the videos and announce the 3 winners the first week of June, 2016.
Rhythm Section Grand Prizes for Keyboardist, Bassist, Drummer
- Yamaha Instrument: (or comparable models depending on inventory)
- Keyboard Winner- Yamaha Keyboard PSRS970
- Bassist Winner- Yamaha Electric Bass TRBX504
- Drummer Winner- Yamaha Stage Custom Birch 5 piece drum kit
- Berklee College of Music Scholarships- The 3 rhythm grand prize winners may be selected by Berklee College of Music to apply for the scholarships. All must meet Berklee eligibility requirements (see Rules & Regulations for details).
- Recording a track on Lee Ritenour’s forthcoming album to be recorded September 6, 2016 in Los Angeles. Travel, lodging and stipend are included in the prize. The recording will take place at the incredible Woodshed Recording Studio in Malibu, California. One of the most beautiful and unique studios in Southern California, complete with state of the art equipment and the most scenically stunning of environment where the likes of Sting, U2, Peter Gabriel, Lenny Kravitz, Barbra Streisand, Neil Young, Kanye West, Sam Elliott and Coldplay have recorded there.
- The opportunity to perform for one night with Lee Ritenour and up-and-coming All-Star musicians from Japan at the legendary Blue Note Tokyo! This performance will be September 11, 2016, and you will fly to Tokyo after recording in Los Angeles. This prize package includes international travel, domestic transportation, work visas and Hotel accommodations for three nights.
- Live Performance as one of the Rhythm Sections at the 2016 Crown Guitar Workshop & Festival. Prize includes Workshop & Festival performances, Domestic Travel (within the USA), Ground Transportation, Accommodations and Meals will be provided. Dates are August 28-September 4, 2016. You will fly to Los Angeles from here for recording. For more details see: www.crownguitarfest.org
- Professional Mentoring Sessions with Lee Ritenour
- Monster headphones
- Opportunity for a potential recording contract with Concord Records for 4 SST Grand Prize Winners, if mutually agreed upon by winner and Concord.
- Bass Guitar Winner- Xotic Effects Pedal Bass RC Booster